This VMware appliance was made to show you the OXID eShop Community, Professional and Enterprise Edition web application in a working Linux web server environment. It is an ideal environment for locally building up your shopping cart system and is easy to copy to a real web server later (as described beneath).
For a newer version of the OXID eShop Community Edition, check http://www.oxid-esales.com/en/community/download-oxid-eshop.html
Another purpose of this VM is the use for developing own OXID eShop modules and check your modules for certification. In case you want to make your modules OXID certified please contact us.
TAKE CARE: For security reasons, do not use this VMware image as a productive web server!
The VMware appliance contains a Ubuntu 12.04.a LTS, the following packages were installed in addition from the official repositories:
The password for the oxid user is oxid. Use the sudo command to get root privileges. The root user is disabled in Ubuntu by default.
Connect to MySQL as root with password root.
- Download, install and configure the free VMWare Player:
http://www.vmware.com/download/player/ (registration might be required).
- You might find this link helpful:
Documentation and help, alternatively, visit our forums at http://forum.oxid-esales.com/.
- Start the VMware Player and open the file OXVM.vmx of the downloaded package.
You will be asked if you moved or copied your appliance. Choose I moved it and hit enter.
- Wait until the system is started up and login then with the user oxid and the password oxid.
- Run the getip.sh script from the desktop to get the ip address of your vm
- Working with the shop, you don’t have to login every time. Just start the VMware machine and go ahead.
- Fire up your preferred browser and enter your gathered IP address followed by /shared/, e.g.
Now it is time to copy the OXID eShop files into the VM.
How to copy files onto your vm
We prepared the latest OXVM for usage with shared folders. On the VMs desktop you will find a folder named “www” which is the root directory of the webserver. In the beginning, this directory is empty as there is no shared folder conected to the VM.
- Turn your VM off
- Back in the VMWare Player window select “OXVM” from the list and click “Edit virtual machine settings”
- Go to “options” and add a shared folder from your host machine’s file system.
We recommend you to store your project files (e. g. OXID eShop installation files) there.
Installing the OXID eShop
- Download OXID eShop Community Edition or use an existing copy of OXID eShop Professional or Enterprise edition and copy the files into your shared folder or upload them.
- The database server in your virtual machine is already prepared. Please enter the following information in step 4.
Database hostname or IP: localhost
Database name :<use a preferred name here>
Database username and password: both “root”.
- You are done. Have fun with your OXID eShop!
How to access the database
We installed phpMyAdmin on the server. To access it, point your browser to http://<youripaddress>/phpmyadmin. Log in as “root” with password “root”.
Hint: File ownership
Just a last hint: When you want to use your VMware appliance for another application or for another shop instance, you will probably generate a new folder and copy the files to it using e.g. WinSCP (use oxid | oxid as credentials). As you are root with WinSCP, you need to give the web server the ownership to the files. Login to your VMware machine and enter the following line:
chown –R www-data /newfolder
- Download VMware appliance
- Download the latest OXID eShop Community Edition